Monday 1 August 2016

swapping shoes for...sinks?

One of the things I searched high and low for before embarking on my cake business shenanigans was information. Simple and clear information. What are the rules? Can anyone do it? Do I need to have certificates and licenses coming out of my ears? And could I find it? Could I buggery.

So I called Environmental Health - when in doubt just call the first scary sounding organisation you come across, who arranged to visit me. Out came the marigolds. I scrubbed the kitchen from top to bottom. After 5 hours and finding myself far too engrossed in the cleanliness of the bottom of the teabag jar, I deemed the place cleaner than clean and in danger of being renamed the bleach room.

Worrying myself silly I reminded myself that actually Environmental Health are there to help people like me to get it right. Not to stand in our way. 
After giving them entirely wrong directions on how to find me (Great start Jade!) we eventually sat down over a cup of coffee and set about talking all things allergy and sink related. 

The biggest concern is being able to sanitise dishes, pots, pans and all my lovely little tools. And to do this you need two sinks. Oh and throw in a third to keep your mitts clean too. Failing that a dish washer. (For the equipment, not your hands. Obviously).

Not to mention making sure you don't hurt anyone by slipping in some accidental peanuts or pesky gluten.

It sounds scary. But it isn't. Scribbling notes furiously and feeling a bit excited about finally being able to do some shopping (albeit not for shoes but for a dishwasher!)the lovely lady from EH promised to send me links to the things I need, guides to record keeping and said I was good to go! That's it. Treat's, Darling? my cake business baby is taking it's first steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment